The Star Suing High Roller for $43.2m
Australian casino and gambling operator The Star Entertainment Group has decided to sue a high roller player from Singapore for a hefty sum of AU$43.2 million. The amount is the same one that the punter allegedly lost while playing baccarat at the operator’s The Star Gold Coast Casino, according to a report from local news outlet The New Paper.
The Star flew Singaporean native and wealthy businessman Wong Yew Choy to its Queensland-based casino late last summer, all expenses paid. Wong, who is a frequent visitor at prominent casinos around the world, is often spoiled with various promotions and incentives by these venues. As such, a marketing representative of The Star invited the entrepreneur to visit The Star Gold Coast towards the end of last year.
Differing Stories From the Parties
The Aussie gambling firm flew the high roller to their establishment in a private jet, and even offered him AU$200,000 as so-called ‘lucky money’, according to Wong’s court statement. The Star, however, claimed that when the player arrived on July 26, 2018, he requested a cheque cashing facility to the tune of $40 million – and then supplied the venue with a blank cheque. The casino reportedly indulged his request and provided him with $40 million’s worth of chips, and the player raised the facility by another $10 million just days later.
Wong claims that he decided to stop playing on July 29 because of losses he accumulated and blamed on errors made by his dealer. In court, the punter said that he was encouraged to continue playing by a senior executive employee at The Star, and claimed that the dealer’s mistakes were also acknowledged by the establishment in writing.
Dealer’s Errors Lead to Losses
Wong continued to play at The Star Gold Coast after the venue promised that the dealer would make no further mistakes. He reportedly also warned the casino that he would not pay for losses he incurred as a result of those errors. However, he claims that the same error was made on August 1, leading to him amassing losses of $43.2 million by September 7. The Star inked that amount into the blank cheque that Wong had supplied them.
Once back in Singapore, the player instructed his bank to stop the payment, as he believed that he owed the casino nothing due to their failure to prevent more mistakes from occurring. Last month, The Star filed a lawsuit to contest this belief, requesting that the Singaporean High Court order the player to pay the full loss that he has accumulated during his stay.
Wong has said that he is willing to contest the case “as a matter of principle”, and intends to vindicate his choice to halt the payment.